10 Quotes on Determination
The "Myth" of Genius
Studies have shown that intelligent people often shy away from challenges due to fear of failure, whereas people with grit and determination are more wiling to push themselves by working hard.
In a series of studies, renowned Psychologist Dr Carol S. Dweck performed experiments on 400 fifth grade (the equivalent of year 6 in the UK) school kids from different parts of America.
Firstly, the participants were given puzzles to test their IQ. After they had finished their tests, they were told how they'd done and praised in different ways. One group was praised for their intelligence and told: “You got such and such correct. That’s a very good score. You must be very smart.” Another group was praised for their effort and told: “You must have worked really hard.”
The students were then given a choice about the kind of test they would take next. They could either take one that’s harder than the first, or one as easy as the first. The majority of the kids praised for their intelligence chose to take the easier tests, whereas 90% of the kids praised for their effort chose to do the harder puzzles! After that, the researchers gave the kids even harder tasks. They found that the more naturally intelligent kids were no longer interested in solving problems.
The children with grit and determination however believed hard work was what was needed and enjoyed doing the difficult puzzles, even if they couldn’t always successfully solve them. In a nutshell, students who had been praised for their intelligence believed their skills were innate. Students who had been praised for effort believed that intelligence was something they had control over and could enhance through hard work.
So what does this mean in the real world? According to Dr. Dweck, those with a "growth mindset" have a higher chance of success in life. She writes:
“More and more research in psychology and neuroscience supports the growth mindset. We are discovering that the brain has more plasticity over time than we ever imagined; that fundamental aspects of intelligence can be enhanced through learning; and that dedication and persistence in the face of obstacles are key ingredients in outstanding achievement.”
Roll Your Sleeves Up!
Dweck’s research teaches us an important lesson: intelligence can only take you so far. Much of success is down to grit and determination. With that in mind, get inspired to inculcate in yourself grit and determination by reading the following 10 quotes on determination from great thinkers and leaders!
1) “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.” – Henry Ford
2) “Nothing can withstand the power of the human will if it is willing to stake its very existence to the extent of its purpose.” – Benjamin Disraeli
3) “The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
4) “Great souls have wills; feeble ones have only wishes.” – Chinese Proverb
5) “Will power is to the mind like a strong blind man who carries on his shoulders a lame man who can see.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
6) “If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance.” – Samuel Johnson
7) “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.” ? Maya Angelou
8) The truest wisdom is a resolute determination. – Napoleon Bonaparte
9) A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work. – Colin Powell
10) “If you are going through hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill
Bonus: Inspirational Quotes Posters